The official church of the WRNS
The Book of Remembrance is displayed in a glass topped cabinet at the rear of the church on the south side. In front of the cabinet is the Pascal Candle, a sign of the Resurrection, dedicated in 1994 to the memory of Wrens lost in the sinking of the SS Khedive Ismail on 12 February 1944.
An alms dish used in services is a memorial to Wrens who died in the sinking of the SS Aguila on 19 August 1941.
Other memorials and gifts
A green altar frontal, used during ‘Ordinary time’, is in memory of Dame Jocelyn Woollcombe, a former Director WRNS and President of Association of Wrens. A blue pulpit fall was given by the Brighton & Hove Association of Wrens.
The clear glass windows in the nave came from a legacy from Miss Hazel Reed, a former Treasurer of Association of Wrens as well as a Churchwarden and Treasurer of St Mary Le Strand. The Bible on the lectern was also given in her memory.
Perhaps the most creative gift came from a project by Association of Wrens. Each of the colourful hassocks which adorn the pews was made by a former Wren; some telling their stories; others in memory of friends.
The Wrens today
In 1993 the Wrens were integrated into the Royal Navy to serve on HM ships at all ranks and rates. The Association of Wrens holds a carol service each December and a wreath is laid in memory of WRNS on Remembrance Sunday.